Statues of Liberty
One statue stands at Lincoln High School, Fifth Street and Crescent Avenue, Ellwood City: the other is located on Fox Park, at the corner of Mill and Grove Streets, New Castle.
The 8-foot-4 inch copper statues, known as the Little Sisters of Lady Liberty, were both erected in 1951 by the Boy Scouts of America in commemoration of their 40th anniversary theme, “Strengthen the Arm of Liberty.” At that time 200 statues existed in the United States. Now, due to over fifty years of weather and vandalism, only 100 currently exist, six alone in Pennsylvania. Other locations of the Pennsylvania statues are in Berwick, Bloomsburg, Norristown and York.
To commemorate America’s bicentennial of July 4, 1976 a naturalization re-enactment ceremony was conducted in New Castle and the replica was rededicated with a plaque placed near the statue’s base reading: And now to commemorate our freedom in these United States, we rededicate this copy of the Statue of Liberty. We this date, recognize and honor all immigrant citizens to express our life, admiration, and appreciation to them for their contributions to the American way of life and the life of New Castle in particular. In addition, the New Castle statue was refurbished in 2002.